Saturday, January 26, 2013

Homeschooling:The Beginning

     After lots of debating and researching we've finally started homeschooling. Liam was miserable going to preschool everyday. I'm not really sure what changed because he enjoyed it last year, but this year he kept complaining he was bored and there were no other kids his age there. Everyday was a struggle to get him there and even though I know he was fine once I left him, it just didn't seem worth it. So I figured after Christmas break was the perfect time to transition into homeschooling.
     Right now we just finished up our third week of homeschooling and so far I've really enjoyed it. No more fighting and rushing every morning and for now fingers crossed Liam really likes it as well. He's only in preschool, so the time we spend doing actual school work is pretty short, but it is something we both look forward to every morning. Most of what we are doing is Montessori based since that is what I am most familiar with, but I also ordered a couple of books to give me some different ideas of things we can do. I think we will end up with an eclectic style since I think there are many educational philosophies that have great ideas. The one book I just received in the mail is Five in a Row, which follows the Charlotte Mason method and I plan on adding that to our lessons as well. I will let you know how it goes.  I'm still not sure what we will do next year for now I am just trying to focus on this year and see how it goes. I also want to check out a couple co-ops so I can see what our options on if we continue down this path. If anyone is an experienced homeschooer or has been homeschooled themselves I'd love to hear your experiences and learn more since this is all new to me. Hope everyone is having a great weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment